Sassafras Primary School's philosophy and policies reflect the belief that:
- All children have the ability to learn and that this ability is enhanced in an atmosphere which is positive, caring, stimulating and secure.
- The development of self-esteem, social skills and life skills such as communication, independence, problem solving, a sense of inquiry and creativity is fundamental to success.
- The development of core skills in numeracy, literacy and learning technology is a high educational priority.
- Every child should be encouraged to achieve their personal best through a broad, challenging educational program.
- The school is a learning community which fosters a shared partnership between children, staff, parents and the wider community.
- In a cooperative, non-threatening environment based on mutual respect, students can share responsibility for their own learning and behaviour.
- Successes and efforts should be acknowledged and celebrated.